Friday, March 30, 2012

Big Girl Bed

I'm not sure what came over me a few weeks ago but I decided that it was time for Lauren to graduate to a big kid bed. Maybe it was the fact that she took a nap in her "castle" and I didn't want to lose momentum. Maybe I was tired of leaning over the side of her crib. Maybe I was excited to see her wander into our room in the morning. Whatever it was, I grabbed an allen wrench, popped the side off, and figured out a way to make the toddler railing work.

All day I talked the big girl bed up to Lauren. She would be a big kid like Brenden! She would be able to get up in the morning and come and get me! It would be fun! The first few days, she was perfect. She fell asleep with no issues in the afternoon and at night, stayed in bed, and was happy to wake up and tell me "Did it myself!"

Of course, that couldn't last. She realized one afternoon that getting up and playing with her toys was much more fun than laying down and closing her eyes. Much screaming, flinging of toys, and kicking ensued. I'm not sure when she decided to quit fighting it (and I'm sure now that I've said that she'll be a mess again) but eventually she started staying in bed again.

We did start a routine with her, much like we've done with Brenden, and I think that made a difference. I lay down with her and we "read" her color book, then I rub her back and sing the song "Sing". (She knows all the words, too) She may still get upset, and sometimes she will get up and wander, but it doesn't take more than a quick look to get her scrambling back into bed.

I'm very proud of how well she's doing, but oh my goodness she's growing up too fast! Hopefully potty training won't be the nightmare that I expect it to be.

My big girl!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...