Monday, October 25, 2010

The Big Brother Gene

I know I've written several times about how Brenden relates to Lauren. I crossed my fingers, knocked on wood, wished on stars, hoping that his newfound acceptance of his sister would stick. Either all of those things worked, or, more likely, he's a wonderful big brother who was just settling into his role. I had to get to know her, and he did, too.

It's becoming more and more obvious that he's going to be fabulous as a big brother. The other day I was rushing to get her a bottle while she cried in her carseat. We had just gotten home from grocery shopping and Brenden was running around, stretching his legs after having to sit for so long. While measuring the formula, she suddenly stopped crying, which every parent knows usually means something is wrong. I turned around to find Brenden poised to blow one of his noise makers for her. He stood there and honked at her for at least 5 minutes, both of them laughing their heads off.


From that day, he realized that he had a captive audience when it came to his sister. Not only can she not move very quickly (she can roll, but not crawl) but she is enamored with her brother. I'm pretty sure she thinks he's the coolest thing since sliced bread, or "cool beans" as their grandma Karen would say. :) Any funny face, or goofy noise, gets a huge smile or one of her cough/laughs. If she's fussy he will do his best to make her happy again, which isn't difficult. "Look mommy! She's happy now!" Yes, Brenden, she loves you so much!

Just the other day she started getting upset and when I went to look for her pacifier
I realized that it was still in her crib. "Uh oh. Your pacifier never made it out of your crib. We'll need to get it." Suddenly, Brenden came streaking out of his playroom where I was sure he was oblivous to us. "I'll get it!" And he did!

He surprises me with things like that all the time. My favorite time was when Lauren was inconsolable because it was past her naptime and she decided she needed a bottle. I strapped her down to her changing table and begged Brenden to keep her entertained while I got her something to eat. By the time I got back she was quiet. Again, this is usually a really bad thing! I hurried in to find her staring at her brother, completely fine and totally content. "Brenden, what did you do to calm her down??" I asked. He looked at me like I was crazy. "Mommy, I'm rocking her." And he was! He was barely moving the changing table. Smarty pants!

These moments confirm to me that having a second child was absolutely one of the best things we could have done for him. I know that Tim turned out great as an only child, but I'm glad that my kids will have each other to lean on, at least once they grow up and get past the "I hate my sibling" stage. I'm happy that they will have someone to be there to remember the fun times. It's only been 6 months and I already have so many great memories of the two of them together. I can't wait to see what's in store for the future.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...