Thursday, December 9, 2010

Opinions

Lauren has another ear infection. I am not at all surprised by this, especially since I think it's an extension of the ear infection that she had right before Thanksgiving. I held back from taking her to the doctor because I thought it might just be her teeth, but she had no problems with her first two teeth that came in. (Oh, I didn't mention she has two teeth?? She does! And they are the cutest baby teeth I've ever seen!)

At about 4:45 pm yesterday she woke up screaming from a nap. She had a few restless nights before that, but they were nothing compared to this. I didn't want to wait until the next day so I took to her Med Now, which we've never had a problem with. Everyone was super nice until the doctor came in. I could tell immediately that I wasn't going to be happy with him. "She looks like she feels just fine," was the first thing he said to me. I wanted to say, "Well then YOU come hang out with her at 3 am when she's screaming and can't sleep."

The exam was no better. Instead of having her lay down he made me hold her. She was not happy about that at all and was more upset than I have ever seen her at the doctor's office, except for shots of course. He didn't say a word to me the entire time and I finally had to ask if there was anything wrong. Eventually he said that her right ear was infected. "So, antibiotics?" His response was practically "Well DUH."

I was already frustrated at that point when he told me that she would probably need a tube in that ear. He's only seen her once, how could he possibly know that? Yes, she's had three ear infections, but she also had a tear duct that is too small that will probably need to be dilated after she is a year old. Her right ear is the one that gets infected the most and I feel like her eye is a contributing factor. Also, Brenden had a ton of ear infections until he was 18 months old. Since then he's only had one and that was when he had pink eye so badly. He outgrew them and I want to give Lauren a chance to outgrow them as well.

I think the worst part was when he told me that without a tube she would definitely be developmentally delayed. Tim had to have tubes when he was smaller because he wasn't talking and he had no problems after that. Lauren is talking and babbling and not showing any signs of delay at all. When I mentioned that to this doctor he completely disregarded what I was saying and told me that he was sure that Tim had to go to special classes to catch up. I finally realized that he was the type of person that believes he is always right and nothing I could say would make a difference.

We will definitely be going to her regular pediatrician to follow up. When Lauren had her first ear infection the doctor really didn't want to give her any antibiotics until it was absolutely necessary, so I think she's less likely to jump to the tube conclusion.

Obviously my opinion could change if this ear infection just never seems to go away or another symptom shows up. I'm not so set in my belief that she doesn't need a tube that I can't change my mind. No matter what, we're going to make the best choice for her that we can, which I think is what all parents try to do for their children.

_________________________________________________

I'd also like to thank everyone that gave me their opinion on facebook. It's always great to hear different ideas. Facebook might be a giant time drain, but it's also an awesome way to get advice. Thank you all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...