Monday, January 3, 2011

Preschool...EEK!

I knew this day was coming fast. I had been waiting for it, planning for it, worrying about not starting it soon enough. Was he ready? Could we afford it? Was it the right place? Everything has now fallen into place. Tomorrow is the big day! I am all at once totally excited and completely petrified.

Tim asked me the other day what I was most nervous about. I rattled on about kids being mean, Brenden hating school, hurt feelings and lots of tears. Tim, being the more practical one, is more concerned with Brenden's safety. He wants to know that there are enough teachers to keep Brenden safe and make sure he doesn't get lost. He questioned whether they locked their doors during the day so that no one could just walk in and snag a child. It's the obvious difference between us, and most women and men. Emotional vs. Logical.

Brenden is one word...EXCITED. School is all he has talked about for the past 4 days. He wakes up yelling"I want to go to school!" He gets upset when we explain that he can't go to school yet. "Not yet!?!" And cue much crying. I don't think he really knows what to expect, maybe hours of playing outside or riding a scooter. He knows his friends Connor and Jake go to school so school must be something that he'll like. I'm hoping he's right.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow when I drop him off. Will he scamper away from me, like I think he will, or cling to me, which would be completely out of character. Will I be a blabbering, crying mess through it all or will I be able to hold it together until I get to the car?

I know that it's going to be strange being at home with just Lauren, which has happened very rarely. Tim actually had the guts to ask me what I was "going to do with all my extra time." I think I'll just laze around, eat bon-bons, watch soap operas...or maybe take care of the other child that we have. The one that just recently proved she most certainly knows how to crawl correctly but chooses to Army crawl on the hardwood because it's faster. The one that can now click her tongue, clap her hands, and recently pulled up on the baby gate and coffee table and then shuffled sideways. The one obsessed with getting into the dog food and trying to shovel as much of it into her mouth before we realize she's over there. She's a sneaky one! Extra time??? HAHAHAHAHA!

It's going to be a huge change for all of us, I'm just hoping to make it through this first week with as little complications as possible. Someday this will all be old hat, just our normal weekly routine. But, right now, all I can think of is how my baby went from this:


To this:

Yep, I need to invest in a huge box of tissues. The waterworks have already begun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...