Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back To My Roots

Most of these posts center around Brenden, which is not surprising since he is constantly doing something funny and I love writing about him. However, this one is about me. Sorry to disappoint if you were hoping for some more cuteness! I promise the next blog will be filled with more stories of him showing off for people at a restaurant or putting things in his ears.

I would say 95% of the people that know me know that I have naturally curly hair. It's not a wave, it's a full on curl, much like a poodle. Since I was 20 I have been chemically straightening or flat ironing my hair religiously. If I didn't have time I usually pulled it back in a ponytail, which my husband hated. This process could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the length of my hair and if it had been straight the day before.

Yesterday I got a haircut and the lady who did it was crazily enthusiastic about my curls. I had seen her before even though she wasn't the person that cut my hair in August, which was my last haircut. (I'm horrible, I know!) So I let her do her thing, and her thing meant she cut my hair dry, used thinning shears, and left me with a TON less hair. At first I was nervous. Even when I was younger I didn't like my curly hair. I cannot actually remember a time when I liked my hair down and curly, which is sad for being 27 years old. However, she somehow convinced me. I'm not sure if it's the cut, the product, or the fact that I finally decided to accept the fact that my hair is curly and I should get over it, even with comments about Afros and poodles.

Today it took me 2 minutes to fix my hair, which is when I officially decided I liked my hair. It is amazing to type that sentence. I know I will not always like it. I know there will be days I will cry and scream and wish for straight hair. But for now, I'm at peace, and it's a happy place to be.

The new 'do!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...