Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We Got Ears, Say Cheers!

Today was Brenden's hearing test and I have to say, I was nervous. I've been concerned about his speech for awhile since it seems like Lauren picks up on certain sounds better than he does. His ENT wasn't concerned about his ears, but agreed that a hearing test would still be a good idea to make sure he's where he should be.

Before we left, I told him that we were going to get his ears checked out and that if he was really good that we would get ice cream afterwards. Ice cream = Most Awesome Thing Ever in Brenden's universe. I'm always worried about how he'll act at the doctor's office, but I should have known better.

The doctor was so very nice and explained everything really well. She checked the pressure in his ears, which was great, and then used something that tested how well his cochlea responded, which was also great.

Next, we went into the sound proof box, which was kind of a strange experience. Sort of like being in an airplane when they start messing with the pressure. I held a piece of paper up with different objects on it while Brenden listened to the doctor through the headphones. He pointed to every object that she said. After that he had to clap any time he hear beeping. The whole thing took about 10 minutes and she pronounced his hearing to be "perfect."

The doctor was completely surprised at how well he listened and followed directions. She made sure to tell me that several times, actually. Brenden knowing his shapes or showing off his intelligence in other ways makes me very proud, but I have to admit that I'd take him being well behaved over showing off any day.

His speech evaluation is scheduled for a few weeks from now. I'm ready to have that over and done with. I'm sure that they will be able to give us some great information as well as ease my concerns a little bit.

Until then, I'm going to enjoy the ice cream that we all got for Brenden doing so well. Don't worry, he got one, too. He said, "Yay! Chocolate!"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...