Friday, April 17, 2009

Oh yeah, my finger....

I finally had a consultation with a bone doctor guy. No, I do not feel like looking up the correct name. :) He wasn't exactly the friendliest guy I've ever met, although his intern was extremely helpful. After looking at the MRI and the x-ray, the intern told me I indeed have a Unicameral (Simple) bone cyst, which is a benign tumor, and that surgery was the only way to fix it, which he didn't recommend. There is still a chance of fracture, which is what he believes happened in the first place to cause all the pain. He expects it to heal by itself and I have a follow up in 3 months. So far I've had a lot less pain, but I think part of that is because the tumor has moved up under my nail, which is a different shape now. When I asked if it will ever go back to normal he said the bone may return to it's normal shape in 3 to 4 years and then the nail may change back after that. Nothing definite. I guess I'm lucky it didn't fall off!

So far, so good, but I'm not sure I'll go back to that doctor again. He had a terrible bedside manner and barely spent any time with me. He left during the appointment and said he would look at my x-rays but instead got on the phone and spent the entire 5 minutes talking to someone, all of which I heard. Then he decided to insult my intelligence by telling me he had, "examined my x-rays extensively." Yeah, right! I made sure to mention that I could hear them in the hall and that I wasn't afraid of losing my nail, which is what they thought I was worried about, if it meant that I would be pain free. He then proceeded to pull out his tape recorder and dictate his notes right in front of me. Angry would be putting my mood mildly.

I guess it's good to know that I'm fine and also good to know that I won't see him again. Good all around I think!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...