Thursday, March 25, 2010

37 weeks...

This is a post about baby stuff...if you're totally uncomfortable with pregnancy talk I recommend just not reading. Sorry! :)

I had my regular doctor visit today, although it didn't look like I was going to be able to get in. Normally I have them on Tuesdays, which is when I was scheduled this week, but Dr. Baldwin ended up being called away for a c-section. I'm surprised this has only happened this one time since August. They rescheduled me for 11:30 am today so that Tim could come during his lunch break. Then, last night, their automated reminder called to tell me I was scheduled at 9:30 am...um, no. I couldn't do 9:30 am even if I wanted to. I hit "2" to say that wouldn't work and was told to call to reschedule. AHH!

Brenden woke up at 8 am today and I called immediately. Without listening to who answered the phone I went into my spiel about what had happened. The nice woman let me yammer on and then said, "Your day isn't going to get much better. I'm not the doctor's office, just the hospital operator." CRUD! I apologized but she was really nice about it. She told me to wait 15 minutes and then call back, which I did, and it went to the right office...which doesn't open until 8:30 am. Wow, I felt dumb.

So I called at 8:30 am, and then 8:35 am. By 8:45 am I was getting angry because their phones were still set to away. Finally, at 8:50 am someone answered. She was not really very happy to talk to me and was not exactly in the mood to accommodate me. (Someone needed their coffee!) I just kept saying I was sorry that I screwed up by pushing "2" and that I had no idea who I had actually talked to when I made the appointment for 11:30 and eventually she said she'd let me see the nurse practitioner at 2:15 pm. I was happy to get in at all at that point so I called Tim to tell him we had no choice. I didn't want to wait for another week.

I was a little worried that they would be kinda mean to me but surprisingly she didn't even ask my name. "Hey girl! I'll let them know you're here!" was not at all what I expected to hear, but maybe she felt bad for being snippy. I also wasn't sure what the nurse practitioner would be like but that was a nice surprise, too. She actually spent time talking to me about how her 2nd pregnancy was a lot harder on her, which is what I've been dealing with, and that's why she only has 2 kiddos. She also told me I was doing great with my weight gain, my blood pressure was perfect and said she'd check my cervix after my group-B strep test to see if anything was happening.

What's group-B strep? It's something that they check for around 37 weeks that the mother, if she tests positive, can pass to the baby during birth and possibly make the baby sick. If you test positive they pump you full of penicillin during labor to prevent it. Nothing big and since I had tested positive when I was pregnant with Brenden I knew what to expect. Hopefully this time I won't have to worry about it.

My stats this week:

- measuring 35 1/2 weeks. I'm not sure how that is even possible! She sticks WAY out there.
- I'm dilated 1 cm and starting to thin out, but it's nothing big. She said I probably had a few weeks left, which I expected.

What does that mean? I could go into labor tomorrow or the week after my due date. I was 2 cm dilated with Brenden for 4 weeks before he was born. She'll get here when she's supposed to or we'll set a date to evict her. I'm just happy things are moving in the right direction. I'm ready to be able to breathe again!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...