Friday, February 18, 2011


It turns out I made the right decision yesterday. We made it to the surgical center right on time, filled out a few more papers, and waited just a few minutes before being taken back for pre-op. I got to wear a lovely blue cap (which Tim just had to take a picture of to get me back for this) and get an iv, which was not bad at all since she numbed it first. I'm not sure why they do that there, but I appreciated it! My doctor made it in early (I know! Shocking! He's a pretty cool guy.), explained the procedure, and the nurse gave me something to relax me. I think it started with a "v", but I'm not sure. Before she was done pushing all of it, I was feeling loopy. I think I laughed like a complete buffoon all the way back to the surgical room. I'm pretty sure the anesthesiologist gave me some oxygen, but I can't be sure. Then I was completely out.

Yeah...that's not hot. :)

YES! That toe right there!

I woke up around 8 am, completely unaware of where I was for awhile. The nurse came over immediately, asked if I was okay, and went to get Tim. I think we were home by 8:30 am. So quick! Much faster than Tim's knee. I would absolutely recommend the Memorial Surgery Center at 81st and Memorial. They were all extremely nice, answered all of my questions, and really made me feel comfortable. Five stars! The only thing that was sad was all the babies around us having surgeries done. It sounded like most were adenoid removals or tubes, and some of them woke up really badly. One little girl was so scared and I just wanted to give her a hug. Her mom and the nurses were doing the best they could to calm her down. It's scary for an adult to have surgery so I cannot even imagine being so little and not understanding what was going on.

It turns out my doctor could have given me an injection every day and it still wouldn't have fixed my foot. I had a growth by my joint that was causing all the problems, which means the bones, ligaments, tendons, and everything else looked good. He removed it and sent it off for testing, but he said he wasn't too concerned. Hopefully I can learn more when I go in for my follow up appointment on Tuesday.

So far I think I'm doing well. I napped on the couch, was served food and drinks whenever I needed them, and got lots of kisses from Brenden to help my "ouchie toe," which he told me he loves. I haven't had to take any pain medication yet because he numbed my whole foot before he started. I did feel loopy today because of the medicine that knocked me out, but I think that's finally wearing off. I'm sure I'll be utilizing it, soon! Also, I can hobble around in just my boot without the crutches they gave me. I am really bad with crutches.

HUGE thanks to Tim for taking care of me, Connie for coming over so early to watch the kids, my mom for offering to come and stay with me on Monday, and my friend Bre for offering to help me on Tuesday. You guys are the best! Also, thank you to everyone for all the good thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate it!

It looks like I lost a toe, but I promise it's there. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...