When I made this the first time I forgot to add the heavy whipping cream. *face palm* It makes a big difference. Both Tim and I thought that it tasted a lot like quiche and that it would make a good main dish, as well as a yummy side dish.
Mashed Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets (I grabbed a steam-in-the-bag frozen package that worked just as well)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
- 3 slices honey ham, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook cauliflower until fork-tender (microwave or steam)
- Blend cauliflower with cream, butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg. (I used a stick blender. The original author noted that if you use a regular blender, letting it cool a bit helps. Otherwise it might explode. Eek!)
- Add eggs and 1 cup of cheese. Blend.
- Stir in bacon, ham, pepper and onion.
- Pour into casserole or gratin dish, sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until top is golden brown. (Time varies by the shape of the dish)
Even Brenden said that this was "Yummy!" I'd call that a win.