Tuesday, March 17, 2009

18 Month Check Up

We were back at the doctor's office AGAIN today for Brenden's well baby check up. After trying to play with a not-so-nice little girl in the waiting room (I swear I wanted to tell her off every time she tried to slap his hands away. Where the heck were her parents??) we headed back to see Dr. Mickle Monster. (it's her nickname, but she's totally awesome) First I had to explain to the nurse about his visit to the Urgent Care center last week for croup. He still has a cough and a runny nose but his fever is gone and he seems to feel OK. I also told them about his tongue biting incident, which I really didn't need to do since it's almost healed. For something that looked so awful it really healed quickly.

We stripped off his clothes and headed out to check his weight, where he stood on the scale all by himself. After his growth spurt he stopped eating so much, and combined with the fact that he's sick he's ended up back down at 27 lbs. I thought he felt a little lighter, but I was hoping I had gained some muscle in my arms. Oh well...

The next step was checking his length and measuring his head. He is now officially 33 1/4 inches tall (way too close to 3 feet, thanks) and his head is 19 1/2 inches around. GEEZ he's got a lot of brains! :) The doctor came in a few minutes later, checked his belly, nose, ears, and throat and asked me some questions about his development. Everything she asked me he has been doing for quite awhile, Tim told me I should have asked to move onto 2 year old developmental milestones, but since every parent likes to think their child is amazing and smart I think that would have been really over the top of me to do. :)

The one thing she discovered was that he has a double ear infection. WHAT?! I had no clue. He's been whining and grouchy but with a sore throat, a cough, and runny nose I expected that. We're back on antibiotics and have to check back to make sure it's cleared up in 10 days. Since he was sick and that is what caused it she wasn't concerned about the infections and thinks that he should be fine without tubes. (Thank goodness!)

Every check up brings a shot but luckily this time it was just a DTP and he was OK to get it as long as he had no fever. He tried to grab at the needle but that was the only problem we really had. He cried for just a little while and was totally fine by the time we got dressed and headed out the door.

Here are his percentages:

Weight - 27 lbs (60%) which is way down
Height - 33 1/4 inches (85%)
Head - 19 1/2 inches (97%)

He used to be fatter than he was tall, and now he's taller than he is fat. As long as he's healthy I really don't care. Now we just have to clear up this ear infection. Croup, a horribly bitten tongue, and an ear infection, all in one week. My goodness he's been busy.


1 comment:

Kristi said...

Poor little guy! I can't believe how bad his tongue looked after he bit it!

It's so amazing that he's already 18 months old. Time flies!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...